Mission Scripture

Mission Scripture

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Fix-It- Fluffy and the Frozen GPS

Hey everyone! For starters I need to apologize to you all. I don't think I've written a letter for like over two weeks now. I'm trying. I promise! Haha. I've just been so busy. Training Elder Savage has been going pretty well. He's a good kid. He has a strong desire to serve the Lord and to work hard. That work ethic is something very valuable that you don't always find in everyone. The new position as trainer definitely has its stresses though. This is one of the hardest positions I think I'll ever have in my entire life. I feel like I am still the new guy and have so much to learn. Now I have the responsibility of knowing everything about the area and teaching Elder Savage everything. I don't want to let him down. He will forever remember that his trainer was Elder Allred, and I don't want him to wish that I would have been a better companion. I spend a lot of time wondering if I am doing a good job. If I am being the influence on him that the Lord wants me to be. You know me. I like things to work out. When things don't go the way I they should or everything isn't perfect, I feel inclined to fix it, and it creates a little stress. Most of all I just don't like to let anyone down. Needless to say, I am spending a lot of time on my knees, praying for help. The Lord has done a mighty fine job of being there for me so far. He's helped make sure that everything will work out one way or another. A great example of that is something that has been going on all week. Last week our GPS started to freak out on us. It started freezing up and we had to fight with it to get it to pick up a signal and get us where we need to go. This tool is essential to have in Connecticut for a couple of reasons. One is that there are so many trees everywhere that you can't just look at Mt. Nebo to tell you which way is north, south, east or west. The other is that roads aren't laid out like they are in Utah. There is no grid system and none of the roads are numbered. They all have different names and you don't know where things are compared to where you are. So my point is that you need a GPS to tell you where to turn. Even though this has been a difficult thing to deal with, we haven't missed a single appointment. Every single time we get lost, the GPS starts working or I magically remember how to get around roads I've been on before (That's the Holy Ghost working!). So that's a pretty good example of how God has helped things run smoothly. Now our GPS is totally frozen and hasn't changed for like three days. So we're getting a new one on Friday. Things are going pretty well. The work is still doing well. D should be getting baptized soon. His Mom just bought him a quad with his name embroidered on it, and he's been at church every week for the last month or so. 
Even though I'm stressed a lot I'm getting through it. My district leader, Elder Flouzek, lives in the same apartment as me and has been such a good help to me! He only has about three months left and has had many of the same experiences I am having now, so he knows really well how to help me. I'm excited for the holidays! It should be a lot of fun. I assure you I will be taken very good care of. We're being fed for Thanksgiving tomorrow and Sister Arend is having us over for my birthday on Friday. Thank you so much for the packages and letters. They mean a lot to me! I hope you all have a fantastic Thanksgiving. Everyone give everyone a hug from me and two for Riken lol. Love you all. Have a fantastic week. In the spirit of the season, don't forget to thank the Lord for all that we have been blessed with. Love you! 
Elder Allred 

No comments:

Post a Comment