Mission Scripture

Mission Scripture

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Blizzards and Baptisms

This week has been crazy crazy, but so awesome! On Friday, we got a pretty good sized snow storm. It was pretty much a blizzard that day that started Thursday night. Whenever it snows more than like 3 or 4 inches, they shut us down, so we didn't get to drive all day on Friday. We got up early and helped our landlord shovel the complex so that everyone could get out of the parking lot. Our landlord is this Christian minister named Henry. He's probably about 80 and has been a minister for most of his life. Needless to say he really likes us, because we're all "men of God". We relate pretty well to him, because we can talk about God together and have a lot of the same beliefs. He's such a nice guy! He also has a lot of good advice for us, so it's always fun to spend a little time with Henry. He even invited us to breakfast on Saturday as a way to say thanks for helping him shovel all winter. Just a really good guy! Anyway, after we shoveled we were pretty much stuck at the apartment for a few hours. In the afternoon, a member came and picked us up and took us over to his place. He's this super funny guy named Johnny Choi from China. He got baptized in March of this year. He owns a company that produces baby bedding products over there and has a warehouse in Bethel (which is the town that we live in). So, he's super rich, but also very careful with his money. He and his wife live in the warehouse in a little bedroom with one small bathroom and a kitchen. Anyway, we went over there for a while and helped him package some of his products. They're super nice people, and I always love spending time at Johnny's warehouse. Highlight of the week was definitely Saturday! As you all know Kimberly got baptized. It was such an awesome day. She was so excited about it and even called President Morgan to get permission for Elder Kroff to come. He played "Savior, Redeemer of my Soul" on the violin for part of the program. In case you didn't know, that's pretty much my favorite song ever since hearing it in the MTC. It was so good to see him. The time that I had him as my companion was just so great, and I have so many wonderful memories from my first three months as a missionary. It was also just such a blessing that Kim asked me to be the one to baptize her. As I stood in that water and raised my arm to the square, I was so incredibly filled with the Spirit. And as I felt the Priesthood power burn through me, I knew that what I am doing out here is the right thing. My testimony grew so much on Saturday, and I'm so grateful that Kim got baptized. Now the next step is for her to go to the temple and do baptisms for the dead. If it all works out right, Elder Savage and I get to go with! Hopefully that will be happening in the coming weeks. I just feel so incredibly blessed to be here in Newtown right now. With Kim's baptism. that makes three consecutive Saturdays that the Newtown ward has had a convert baptism. So cool. I can definitely feel the hastening of the Lord's work here! Anyway, Kim got confirmed on Sunday in fast and testimony meeting. She was super nervous but she got up and bore her testimony. It was so good to hear her testify of the feelings that she has because of the way the Gospel has had an impact on her life. There is no doubt that the Lord's hand is in every bit of the miracles I am witnessing here. You guys, I know that the message I am trying to bring to people is true. If I didn't have a testimony that this gospel is fully true, I would be home right now. I'm not going to lie. It has been pretty tough lately. It would be so easy for me to call President Morgan and say "I can't do this anymore. Get me a flight  to Utah". If I had to do this alone, that's exactly what would happen. But the wonderful thing is that I don't. I have been able to rely on the Lord so much in the past couple months. I feel closer to Him than ever, and that support is making all the difference. That may sound cheesy and that I'm supposed to say it because I'm a missionary. But it really is the way I feel. God is real. He knows me personally and knows how to give me the strength I need to keep pushing forward. He also knows and loves each and every one of you individually. Don't you ever forget that. I love you all. I'm so grateful to have you as my family and friends to support me. Thanks for everything. Have a fantastic week. I love you!!
Elder Allred

No comments:

Post a Comment